A scholarship fund has been established for high school graduates of FRLC who will be attending a college or university. Since the origin of the fund in 2010, FRLC has made $30,500 available to the graduates of our congregation. We are pleased to announce that for 2023, the amount of the scholarship has been increased from $500 to $1000.
Scholarship certificates are given to the graduates as part of our annual congregational recognition of graduates. Then, upon receipt of appropriate school registration information and student I.D., our congregational treasurer will issue a check ($1,000) and send it directly to the school or institution where the student is enrolled, for crediting to his or her account.
The graduate must complete and submit the scholarship application no later than May 1 of the year the student graduates from high school to be eligible for the scholarship, even if the student defers college for one year. Awards will be equal and are not based on particular merit or need.
The graduate must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- Be a confirmed Lutheran.
- Be a member of French River Lutheran Church.
- Students must attend a minimum of 12 FRLC church services between May 1, 2022 and April 30, 2023. To document attendance, students must sign the bulletin for the FRLC church service they attended and have the usher at that service sign the bulletin, also. Students need to place the bulletin in their personal scholarship envelope located in the Youth mail slot just outside of the church office. It is the responsibility of each student to ensure their signed bulletin is in the envelope.
- The student may watch up to four FRLC online services in lieu of in-person attendance. In order to have the online service satisfy the attendance requirement, the student must complete a 3-2-1 Reflection for the service. To document online attendance, students must sign the bulletin for the FRLC online church service and place the completed 3-2-1- Reflection and signed bulletin in their personal scholarship envelope located in the Youth mail slot just outside of the church office. The student may also place these documents in a labeled envelope and leave the envelope in the drop box near the church side entrance. Again, it is the responsibility of each student to ensure their signed bulletin and 3-2-1 Reflection are in the envelope and properly labeled. The 3-2-1 Reflection form is available on the FRLC website in the “Documents” tab (frenchriverlutheranchurch.org), in the church office, or with this document.
- Signed bulletins and/or reflection forms must be in the personal scholarship envelope within four weeks of attending the service. Bulletins/forms submitted later than four weeks after a service will not be accepted.
- Submit the scholarship application no later than May 1, 2023.
- If in-person attendance is not possible for medical reasons, please contact the Scholarship Committee.
- Strict compliance to the criteria above is required to be eligible for the scholarship.
These criteria reflect our church family’s commitment to support both your faith formation and your postsecondary education.